Friday 18 October 2019

Hallow Hallow Hallowe'en

If you hang around my blog or fb or instagram for any length of time, you'll eventually find out the truth.


I. Love. Halloween.




I love everything about it.

I love scary movies, creepy ghost stories. I love the costumes, the kids, the dressing up, the candy (oh, the candy). 


Every year for almost 2 decades now, my Dad and I have done a yard haunt. For some time it was at their house just down the road from us, but when they moved to an older neighbourhood we moved the haunt to my house.


We live in a subdivision that has a grade school on the same street we live in, it's a popular place for trick-or-treating. Our average (as long as it's not raining, snowing or bitterly cold) is about 200-300 kids on Halloween night. 


I love dressing up and haunting our yard as well. So, in the lead-up to Hallowe'en (and before I show my costume for this year in a week or so) I thought I would share some of my past costumes! 


Pretty much all of my costumes are home-made, as I find that plus-size costume sizing is a ridiculous joke - and that costumes that are mass produced are cheap, not very warm and definitely definitely NOT worth the money!



Generally, my costumes are made up of my own clothes, warm preferably, and a few choice accessories. When I went as a plague doctor pictured just above here, the boots, suede coat, and leather hat were all things I already owned. 


And sometimes simple is best. As a vampire, all black clothes, white makeup and a cape and you're good to go!



Dressing as a zombie is probably one of my favourites, since I also have a serious love for zombie movies. Mess up your hair, stick some rice, tissue and liquid latex and a LOT of fake blood on your face and, if you're serious like me, bury the clothes you plan on wearing for about a month or so before Hallowe'en - that really ups the zombie ante!



The creepy dolly costume was super fun - but SO not warm enough, lol. But again, I used a dress I owned, a piece of satin fabric from my sewing box, and some fancy dress gloves I already had. A bit of make and some false lashes - et voila! Creepy dolly.

And yes, this "ghost" is actually me. All white/grey clothes, and a low light, prolonged exposure on the camera!

What are you going as for Hallowe'en? Do you dress up? Or just stay home and shell-out? Let me know in the comments below, and take a guess at what I'm going as for Hallowe'en this year!



3 comments:

  1. Love your makeup! We are dressing up this year and I cant wait to dress the pups! Love your yard - those tombstones and the cauldron are very cool!
    thanks for linking!
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea, you are hilarious and very talented when it comes to Halloweening! I am only just getting into costumes for the sake of my kids. I never really was that into Halloween. But I love seeing how creative others get! I can’t wait to see what you have in store this year! Thanks for linking up!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks so fuN! it's great you are so creative with costumes! We don't do trick or treating here so I'm amazed you have that many visitors, wow! We don't really do Halloween here in Australia.

    Thank you so much for joining the #weekdayWearLinkUp :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete