Friday, 30 January 2015

Houndstooth Peplum -- Retro Inspired


Something about the shape and styling of this houndstooth peplum has always felt very Mad-Men to me.



Maybe it's the heavy fabric, maybe it's the shape, maybe it's the simple black and white houndstooth pattern. I love wearing it with stovepipe or straight leg pants/jeans and today I dressed it up with a bright lip and some pearls and heels. Just like June Cleaver would - if she ever wore anything other than a full skirt, petticoat, blouse and apron.



To try and keep this outfit from becoming too costume-y I put on some mod earrings and stuck with a simple black/white/grey colour scheme.




This outfit is perfect for meeting the girls for coffee - or if you're like me and all of your plans are trashed because BOTH of your vehicles end up out of commission on the same day then it's a perfect outfit for hanging around the house feeling sorry for yourself and binge watching Alphas. Either or, really.

Tea

Top - Ricki's: similar / similar / similar
Jeans - Target: similar / similar / similar
Shoes - Payless: similar / similar / same
Earrings - Old
Bracelet and Necklace - Handmade
Hair - Crown french braid into pick-up twist into messy bun.

Linking up for Fun Fashion Friday
Linked up with Laura

9 comments:

  1. You look so pretty! That printed top is so fun! Houndstooth is such a classic!
    ~~Megan~~
    http://www.poshprime.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! Houndstooth is one of the boldest classic patterns out there. I love it! It's right up there with leopard in my boots. :)

      Delete
  2. Super cute and flattering! I would love to have that top. Looks adorable on you! Thanks so much for linking up with FUN FASHION FRIDAY! And hope to see you next week too!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Fun Fashion Friday! I will be back to link up on the regular.
      I got this top about a while ago - but I see similar shape and pattern all the time - it speaks to the classic longevity of a pattern like houndstooth and just plain good tailoring! Those things will always be in style!

      Delete
  3. I like this top on you! But these shoes are fantastic!! This is such a great outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That houndstooth top is adorable! Love your retro look shoes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shoes were such a great find - at Payless! I'm loving the retro-inspired trends I'm seeing in stores right now - I can hardly resist!

    ReplyDelete